Dr Abhay Narvekar
Department: Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine
Designation: Senior Consultant
Qualification: MBBS, MSBook an appointment
Dr Abhay Narvekar is a senior Arthroscopic and orthopedic surgeon practicing arthroscopic Surgery since 1983(36 years). He is one of the pioneers in the field of Arthroscopic surgery in India. He has performed 20,000 + Arthroscopic surgeries till date including more than 6000 Arthroscopic ACL Reconstructions. He has extensive experience in managing ligament injuries of the knee including ACL & PCL Reconstructions and Articular Cartilage Transplants using the Mosaicplasty technique.
Dr Narvekar passed MBBS & MS (orthopedics) from KEM Hospital, Mumbai. After getting his formal training in Arthroscopic surgery in 1986 at Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, USA, he joined as a Lecturer and then an Asst. Professor in orthopedics at LTMG Hospital, Sion Mumbai.
He completed his fellowship in Sports Medicine at Insall Scott Kelly Institute for Sports Medicine, Beth Israel North Hospital NY, New York in 1995. To improve on his technique further, he completed a fellowship with Dr Lanzlo Hangody at the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest in 1999 and followed up with a fellowship in Posterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction with Dr Andreas Staehlin at The Berne Hospital in 2001.
35+ Years of Experience
- Present : Senior Consultant at Global Hospitals, Mumbai
- Total Teaching Experience as recognized by University of Bombay: 8 years.
- Teacher for DNB Candidates at K B Bhabha Hospital, Bandra, Mumbai:2years
- Total Clinical Experience (excluding internship): 29 years.
- Visiting Fellow with Dr Lanzlo Hangody for “Mosaicplasty”, Budapest,1999
- Visiting fellow ,Berne Hospital with Dr Andreas Staehlin for Posterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction,2001
- Visiting Fellow ,Insall, Scott Kelly Institute for Sports Medicine, Beth Israel North Hospital NY, New York,1995
- Visiting Fellow, Hospital for Joint Diseases NY for Arthroscopic Surgery,1991
- Reader, LTMG Hospital, Mumbai, Aug88-Jul89
- Lecturer, LTMG Hospital, Mumbai, Sept84-Aug88
- A.M.O., Cooper Hospital, Mumbai,Sep 83-Sept84
- House Surgeon, Seth G.S Medical College and KEM Hospital, Parel,Mar81-Aug81
- House Surgeon, Cooper Hospital, Mumbai,Sept80-Feb81
- House Surgeon, Seth G.S Medical College and KEM Hospital, Parel,Mar80-Aug80
- ACL Reconstructions
- PCL Reconstructions
- Articular Cartilage Transplants
- Arthroscopic Shoulder repairs
- Bilateral discoid medial menisci with abnormal attachment to the Anterior CruciateLigament–a case report: Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica 1999;
- Mucoid degeneration of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament, Feb 2004,
- Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and related surgery.
- An anatomic study of the popliteal fibular ligament, International Orthopedics.
- Internal fixation of Thoraco-lumbar fractures, Indian Practitioner, July 1988
- Valgus Reduction in treatment of intracapsular fractures of the neck of femur: Clinical Orthopedic India: No.1 1987
- Knee Ligament Injuries in sports: Indian Practitioner: Dec 1988
- Scope of arthroscopy in sports: Indian Practitioner: Dec 1988