Dr Abhay Nene
Department: Spine Surgery
Designation: Senior Consultant
Qualification: MBBS, M. S. (Orthopedics), Spine Foundation Fellowship
Dr Abhay Nene is senior consultant – spine surgery at Global Hospital, Parel, Mumbai. He comes with a rich experience of over 20 years. He has completed his M.B.B.S as well as a M.S. in Orthopedics. Furthermore, he has done a spine foundation fellowships in overseas at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, USA; and was a Visiting Spine Surgeon at Wockhardt, Hinduja Surgical Specialty, Sportsmed Hospitals and Honorary paediatric spine surgeon in B J Wadia Children’s hospital, Mumbai. He is an expert in spine surgeries and performs a wide variety of spine surgeries, including Spinal deformity corrections, spinal tumor reconstructions, surgery for spinal infections, reconstructive surgery for osteoporotic fractures, cervical spine instrumentation, occipito cervical spine surgery, and minimal access procedures like endoscopic and micro discectomy, nucleoplasty, thoracoscopy , vertebroplasty etc. Disc replacement surgery and growing rod surgeries including rib expansion, and computer navigated spine surgery are some of the contemporary surgeries done by him.
His research work has been impeccable and most of his papers have been published in various esteemed national and international medical journals.
Besides being a surgeon, he has also been involved in the teaching for fellowship and working on research projects.
20 Years of Experience
- Consultant, Orthopedic at Global Hospital, Parel, Mumbai
- Consultant Spine Surgeon at Wockhardt
- Consultant Spine Surgeon at Hinduja Surgical Specialty
- Consultant Spine Surgeon at Sportsmed Hospitals
- Honorary Visiting Paediatric Spine Surgeon at B J Wadia Children’s Hospital, Bombay
M.B.B.S. University of Bombay
M. S. (Orthopedics), University of Bombay
Spine Foundation Fellowship
- ASSI-Dartmouth Spine Fellowship, September 2006, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, New Hampshire, USA
- Scoliosis Research Society Scholarship, September 2004, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- International ISSLS Spine Fellow award
International Society for the Study of Lumbar Spine (ISSLS)
May 2002, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
- Predictors of kyphotic deformity in osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures: a radiological study.
Patil S, Nene AM.
Eur Spine J. 2014 July
- Non-surgical management of cord compression in tuberculosis: a series of surprises.
Patil SS, Mohite S, Varma R, Bhojraj SY, Nene AM.
Asian Spine J. 2014 Jun;8(3):315-21.
- De-novo XDR Tuberculosis Spine in a 3-year-old Girl.
Mohan K, Joshi N, Pawar U, Nene A.
J Glob Infect Dis. 2014 Jan;6(1):44-5
- Posterior approach in thoracolumbar tuberculosis:
a clinical and radiological review of 67 operated cases.
S Rawall, K Mohan, A Nene.
Journal of Musculoskeletal Surgery, Springer. April 2013
- Surgical patterns in osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures.
Patil S, Rawall S, Singh D, Mohan K, Nagad P, Shial B, Pawar U,Nene A.
Eur Spine J; 2013 Apr;22(4):883-91.
- Postvertebroplasty instability Report of 5 cases .
Premik Nagad, Saurabh Rawall, Vishal Kundnani, Kapil Mohan, Sanganagouda Patil, Abhay Nene
J Neurosurg Spine 16:387–393, April 2012
- Drug Resistance Patterns in 111 cases of drug resistant
Kapil Mohan, Saurabh Rawall, Uday Pawar, Meeta Sadani, Premik Nagad, Amita Nene, Abhay Nene
European Spine Journal : January 2012
- Post operative visual loss.
Indian Journal Of Orthopedics, Volume 46, January 2012
SS Patil, Kapil Mohan, U Pawar, A Nene
- Role of ‘low cost Indian implants’ in our practice: our experience with 1,572 pedicle screws
Saurabh Rawall, Kapil Mohan, Premik Nagad, Ashutosh Sabnis , Uday Pawar, Abhay Nene
European Spine J DOI 10.1007/s00586-011-1914-3, July 2011
- Tuberculosis of the spine: 2011 update
A.Nene, U. Pawar
Argospine. Springer-Verlag France 2011 – ArgoSpine
NEWS&JOURNAL – quarterly September 2011 – Vol. 23 – N°3
- Outcome of single level instrumented posterior lumbar interbody fusion using corticocancellous laminectomy bone chips
Sanganagouda Patil, Saurabh Rawall, Premik Nagad, Bhavin Shial, Uday Pawar, Abhay Nene
Indian Journal of Orthopaedics | November 2011 | Vol. 45 | Issue 6
- Spinal instability in ankylosing spondylitis.
Badve SA, Bhojraj SY, Nene AM, Varma R, Mohite S, Kalkotwar S, Gupta A.
Indian J Orthop. 2010 Jul;44(3):270-6.
- Major Vessel Injury With Cage Migration – Surgical Complication in a Case of Spondylodiscitis Uday M. Pawar, D’Ortho, DNB Ortho, Vishal Kundnani, MS Ortho,and Abhay Nene, MS Ortho SPINE Volume 35, Number 14, pp E663–E666, ©2010, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Spinal loop rectangle and sub laminar wiring as a technique for scoliosis correction.
Bhojraj SY, Varma RG, Nene AM, Mohite S.
Indian J Orthop. 2010 Jan;44(1):50-6
- Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis of the Spine—Is it the Beginning of the End? A Study of Twenty-Five Culture Proven Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis Spine Patients
Uday M. Pawar, D’ortho, DNB Ortho,* Vishal Kundnani, MS Ortho,* Vikas Agashe, MS Ortho,* Amita Nene, MD, DETRD, FCCP,† and Abhay Nene, MS Ortho*
SPINE Volume 34, No.22, pp E806, ©2009, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Occipito-Atlanto-Axial Osteoarthritis – A Cross Sectional Clinico- Radiological Prevalence Study in High Risk and General Population
Siddharth A. Badve, MS,*† Shekhar Bhojraj, MS,† Abhay Nene, MS,‡ Abhijit Raut, MD,§ and Ravi Ramakanthan, MD§
SPINE Volume 35, No.4, pp 434, ©2010, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Giant cell tumor of the spine: A review of 9 surgical interventions in 6 cases.
Bhojraj SY, Nene A, Mohite S, Varma R.
Indian J Orthop. 2007 Apr;41(2)
- Results of Non Surgical Management of Thoracic Spinal Tuberculosis in Adults- a study of 50 cases
A Nene, S Y Bhojraj, the Spine Journal, Jan-Feb 2005
- Lumbosacral Tuberculosis in Adults
S Bhojraj, A Nene. British Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery May 2002
- ASSI textbook of Spinal Infections and Trauma
- Radiology in spinal trauma – A Sabnis, A Nene
- Bacteriology of Spinal Tuberculosis – P Nagad, A Nene
- Multi drug resistant Spinal TB- U Pawar, A Nene
- Textbook of Orthopedics and Traumatology. 2008, Jaypee
142.1 Metastatic Disease of the Spine
142.2 Primary Tumors of the Spine
S Bhojraj, A Nene