Dr Aditya J. Nanavati
Department: HPB Surgery and Liver Transplant
Designation: Senior Consultant - Liver, Pancreas and Intestine Transplant & HPB Surgery
Qualification: MBBS, MS, Fellowship in Abdominal Transplant Surgery (Duke University, USA)Book an appointment
Dr Aditya J. Nanavati, is Senior Consultant – Liver, Pancreas and Intestine Transplant & HPB Surgery. He has performed several firsts in Western India namety Living Donor Paediatric Small Intestine Transplant, Simultaneous Kidney-Pancreas Transplant and Small Bowel Transplant. His special interest lies in Cadaveric and Living donor liver transplantation, Simultaneous Kidney-Pancreas transplantation, Multi-visceral Transplantation, Complex HPB surgeries and Re-operative abdominal surgery. After completing his Masters in Surgery in India he went ahead for his Fellowship in Abdominal Transplantation and Hepatobiliary Surgery at Duke University Health System, Durham, North Carolina, USA. He is also the Editor for Gastrointestinal Surgery Series, Oxford University Publishers.
- Dr Aditya J. Nanavati has worked as Consultant, Multi-organ Transplant and Hepatobiliary Surgery, at Jupiter Hospitals, Thane.
- He before returning to India has worked as Fellow in the Division of Abdominal Transplant, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, USA
- Cadaveric and Living donor liver transplantation
- Simultaneous Kidney-Pancreas transplantation
- Small Intestinal transplantation
- Multi-visceral transplantation
- Complex Hepato – Pancreato-Biliary surgeries
- Bowel lengthening
- Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS) programs
- 1st Living donor pediatric small intestine transplant
- 1st Simultaneous Kidney-Pancreas Transplant in Mumbai
- 1st Small Bowel Transplant in Maharashtra/Western India
- Distinction in Pharmacology and Microbiology in second year MBBS at University Exams, 2006.
- 1st prize in Annual Medical quiz held at K.J.Somaiya Medical College and Research Centre, 2008 and 2009 (two years in a row)
- 1st prize in Annual Medical Debate at K.J.Somaiya Medical College and Research Centre, 2008
- 3rd in Batch in Final MBBS university exams, 2009 Top 5th percentile in Medical School Board Exams
- 2nd (99th percentile) in the state of Maharashtra, Surgery Board exams, 2013
- Best Poster (in category), Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterologists Conference, 2014
- Nanavati AJ, Prabhakar S. A Comparative Study of ‘Fast-Track’ Versus Traditional Peri-Operative Care Protocols in Gastrointestinal Surgeries. J Gastrointest
Surg 2014. 18 (4); 757-67. doi: 10.1007/s11605-013-2403-2
- Nanavati AJ, Prabhakar S. Anaesthesia in Fast track Gastrointestinal Surgery. J Anaesth Clin Res 2014. 5 (2); 384. doi: 10.4172/2155-6148.1000384
- Nanavati AJ, Prabhakar S. Fast-track Surgery: Toward comprehensive perioperative care. Anesth Essays Res 2014. 8 (2); 127-33. doi: 10.4103/02591162.134474
- Nanavati AJ, Nagral S. Varicocele due to a Biliary cystadenoma. BMJ Case Reports 2014; doi:10.1136/bcr-2014-206970
- Nanavati AJ, Nagral S, Prabhakar S. Fast Track Surgery in India: A Review. Natl Med J India 2014. 27 (2); 79-83. PMID:25471759
- Nanavati AJ. Does the current undergraduate curriculum shed enough light on enhanced recovery after surgery principles? Natl Med J India 2014. 27 (6); 352.
- Nanavati AJ. Letter in response to “Perioperative Blood transfusion is associated with decreased Survival in patients undergoing Pancreaticoduodenectomy for Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma: A Multi-institutional study”. J Gastrointest Surg 2015. 19 (2); 407-8. doi 10.1007/s11605-014-2704-0.
- Nanavati AJ. ERAS in laparoscopic assisted gastrectomy. J Minim Access Surg. 2015. 11(2); 165.
- Nanavati AJ, Nagral S, Borle N. Retroperitoneal perforation of the appendix presenting as a right thigh abscess. Case Rep Surg 2015;2015:707191. doi:
- Nanavati AJ, Prabhakar S. Fast tracking Colostomy closures. Indian Journal of Surgery. 2015 Dec;77(Suppl 3):1148-53. doi: 10.1007/s12262-015-1224-9.
- Nanavati AJ. Fast track surgery in the elderly: avoid or proceed with caution? J Gastrointest Surg. 2015 Dec;19(12):2292-3. doi: 10.1007/s11605-015-2946-5.
- Nagral S, Nanavati AJ, Nagral A. Liver Transplantation in India; At the Crossroads. J Clin Exp Hepatol. 2015 Dec;5(4):329-40. doi:
- Nanavati AJ, Prabhakar S. Enhanced Recovery after Surgery: If you are not implementing it, why not? Practical Gastroenterology. 2016 April; 40(4):46-56.
- Ananthnarayan C, Nanavati AJ, Prabhakar S, Prabhakar S. Factors impacting mortality in the pre-hospital period in road traffic accidents in urban India. Trauma Mon. 2016 May 26;21(3):e22456. eCollection 2016 Jul
- Nanavati AJ, Nagral S. Why have we embraced Minimally invasive surgery and ignored Enhanced recovery after surgery? J Minim Access Surg. 2016 JulSep;12(3):299-301. doi: 10.4103/0972-9941.181392.
- Dhakre V, Nanavati AJ, Nagral S. Castleman’s disease in Carcinoma of gall bladder. BMJ Case Rep. 2016 Nov 25;2016. pii: bcr2016217325.
- Kale S, Nanavati AJ, Borle N, Nagral S. Outcomes of a conservative approach to management in amoebic liver abscess. J Postgrad Med. 2017 Jan-Mar;63(1):16-20. doi: 10.4103/0022-3859.191004
- Khanapure S, Nanavati AJ, Nagral S. A study of events between the onset of symptoms and hospital admission in Surgical Acute Abdomen. Natl Med J India. 2017 Mar-Apr; 30(2): 65-68.
- Shaw BI, Nanavati AJ, Taylor V, Miller RA, Kappus M, Barbas AS. Donor derived HSV hepatitis in a kidney transplant recipient leading to liver fibrosis and portal hypertension. Transpl Infect Dis. 2018;e13029. https://doi. org/10.1111/tid.13029
- Ravindra KV, Sanoff S, Vikraman DS, Zaaroura A, Nanavati AJ, Sudan D, Irish W. Lymphocyte Depletion and Risk of Acute Rejection in Renal Transplant Recipients at Increased Risk for Delayed Graft Function. American Journal of Transplantation. First published: 01 September 2018 https://doi.org/10.1111/ajt.15102
- Moris D, Tsilimigras DI, Lim J, Camastra D, Nanavati A, Knechtle SJ, Barbas A. Neuroendocrine carcinomas of the gallbladder: Lessons learnt from cases at opposite ends of the spectrum. J BUON. 2018;23(6):1922‐1926.
- Dhakre V, Nanavati AJ, Momin S, Nagral S. Pre-anesthetic Checkup in India: A Review. Surgery in Practice and Science. Accepted, In Press. 2020.
- Chaubal G, Hatimi H, Nanavati A, Deshpande A. First Small Intestine Transplant in Western India: An Initial Experience. Indian Journal of Surgery. 2020.
- Chaubal G, Nanavati AJ, Biradar V, Tambe S, Hatimi H, Deshpande A, Bhalerao S. Monosegment liver allografts for Liver transplantation in infants weighing less than 6kgs: an initial Indian experience. Transplantation Proceedings. 2020
- Chaubal, G., Hatimi, H., Nanavati, A., Deshpande, A., Andankar, P., Biradar, V., Gupte, P., Hanchnale, P., Bhalerao, S., & Tambe, S. (2021). Pediatric living donor intestine transplant following an atypical complication of COVID-19: A unique case report from India. American journal of Transplantation. 21(12), 4079–4083. https://doi.org/10.1111/ajt.16798