Dr Sonali Bhagwat
Department: General, Laproscopic and Minimal Access Surgery
Designation: Consultant - General, Laparoscopic and Breast Surgeon
Qualification: MBBS, MS, FRCS (Edin), FICS, FMAS
Dr Sonali Bhagwat is a Senior General, Laparoscopic and Breast Surgeon.She is a full-time consultant in the Department of General, G.I and Minimal Access Surgery at Global Hospital, Mumbai.
She is internationally trained with 23 years of experience. She is an expert in major and minor general surgical procedures including complex GI procedures, HPB, HFN, colorectal, endocrine surgery, emergency, trauma, and breast surgery. She is proficient in performing both basic and advanced laparoscopic surgeries and was part of the team that pioneered single-port laparoscopic surgery.
She was awarded the University of Mumbai Gold Medal for securing first place in Surgery in the final MBBS examination, 1992, and ranked first in college at the MS examination, 1997.She has delivered numerous scientific presentations at regional, national, and international conferences, won prizes, and has several publications in national and international journals.
She has a strong commitment to surgical training and has served as Lecturer and Associate Professor in Surgery, and as an examiner for MBBS and MS. At present, she is a University teacher and a guide for the Fellowship in Minimally Invasive Surgery (FMAS) from MUHS, and an examiner for FMAS.She set up and currently runs the Comprehensive Breast Health Service at Global Hospital, Mumbai.
23 Years of Experience
- 2014 to Present
Consultant – General, Laparoscopic and Breast Surgeon, Global Hospital
- 2008 to 2014
Associate Professor in Surgery, T. N. Medical College & B. Y. L. Nair Ch. Hospital, Mumbai
- 2001 to 2008
Lecturer in Surgery, T.N. Medical College
- 1999 to 2001
Lecturer in Surgery, K.J. Somaiya Medical College, Mumbai
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Breast Cancer Surgery
- Topper of the MS (General Surgery) examination, University of Mumbai, 1997.
- Received the University of Mumbai Gold Medal for first place in Surgery in the MBBS final examination, 1992.
- ‘Calcium Dobesilate in the Management of Haemorrhoids’ published in Medicine Update by Bhagwat S.
- ‘Port-site Infection With Mycobacterium Chelone following Laparoscopic Appendectomy’ published in the Indian Journal of Gastroenterol, by Bhagwat S, et al.
- ‘Evaluation Of Clinical Skills For First Year Surgical Residents Using Orientation Programme And Objective Structured Clinical Evaluation As A Tool Of Assessment’ published in the Journal of Postgraduate Medicine, by Bhagwat S, et al.