Dr Akash Shukla
Designation: Senior Consultant
Qualification: MBBS, MD (Medicine), DM (Gastroenterology)Book an appointment
Dr Akash Shukla is an internationally trained and renowned Gastroenterology doctor with over 20 years of professional experience.
Dr Shukla has done his M.B.B.S and D.M (Gastroenterology) from Seth G.S Medical College, K.E.M Hospital and M.D (Medicine) from TNMC & BYL Nair Hospital. After this, he received special training in liver transplant and hepatology from UPMC Pittsburgh in USA and Barcelona (Spain). He has also done vital biostatistics research courses from Harvard University and the University Of Berkeley.
He has done extensive work in the field of gastroenterology. His studies and research work have been published in several medical journals and has more than 80 research publications to his credit. He’s also been a principal investigator in various clinical trials. He is also a Professor & Head, Department of Gastroenterology and has been invited to impart his knowledge by the European Association For Liver Diseases, Asia Pacific Association for the study of liver, Indian National Association For Liver.
20+ Years of Experience
- September 2012 to Present
Senior Consultant Transplant Hepatology at Global Hospitals, Parel, Mumbai
- December 2019 to Present
Professor & Head, Department of Gastroenterology, Seth G.S Medical College & K.E.M Hospital Parel, Mumbai
- February 2014 to August 2017
Additional Professor, Department of Gastroenterology, Seth G.S Medical College & K.E.M Hospital Parel, Mumbai
- May 2015 to September 2016
Visiting Honorary Consultant Hepatologist, Tata Memorial Hospital & Research Centre, Mumbai
- February 2011 to February 2014
Associate Professor, Department of Gastroenterology, Seth G.S Medical College & K.E.M Hospital Parel, Mumbai
- Dec 2008 to February 2011
Assistant Professor, Department of Gastroenterology, Seth G.S Medical College & K.E.M Hospital Parel, Mumbai
- August 2008 to December 2008
Senior Resident, Department of Gastroenterology, Seth G.S Medical College & K.E.M Hospital Parel, Mumbai
- Transplant hepatology
- Auto-immune hepatitis
- Primary Sclerosing Chiolangitis
- Budd – Chiari Syndrome
- Vascular liver disease
- Alcoholic liver disease
- Acute on chronic liver disease
- Young Gastroenterologist award Giftcon 2017
- VALDIG, Europe best paper award Switzerland 2016
- International achievers Dubai 2017
- Plenary award Asia Pacific Association for Liver 2018
- Part of Asia pacific and national guidelines for ACLF
- Nominated to the technical resource group for viral hepatitis by MOHFLU, GoI
- Nodal officer for Model treatment center for viral hepatitis
- Joint Director In charge ROTTO-SOTTO western India and Maharashtra
- Steering committee member, VALDIG , EASL Europe (First non European ever)
- Best research paper prize at national level 4 times
- Gold medalist “EPGDHA” at TISS, Mumbai
- Writer the SOP for carrying out transplants during Covid period for DHA, Govt. of Maharashtra
- Chairman, Academics, Gastroenterology research society of Mumbai
Dr Akash Shukla has published more than 80 articles, some of them are –
- Anand AC, Nandi B, Acharya SK, Arora A, Babu S, Batra Y, Chawla YK, Chowdhury A, Chaoudhuri A, Eapen EC, Devarbhavi H, Dhiman RK, Datta Gupta S, Duseja A, Jothimani D, Kapoor D, Kar P, Khuroo MS, Kumar A, Madan K, Mallick B, Maiwall R, Mohan N, Nagral A, Nath P, Panigrahi SC, Pawar A, Philips CA, Prahraj D, Puri P, Rastogi A, Saraswat VA, Saigal S, Shalimar, Shukla A, Singh SP, Verghese T, Wadhawan M; INASL Task-Force on Acute Liver Failure. Indian National Association for the Study of Liver Consensus Statement on Acute Liver Failure (Part-2): Management of Acute Liver Failure.J Clin Exp Hepatol. 2020 Sep-Oct;10(5):477-517.
- Duseja A, De A, Taneja S, Choudhury AK, Devarbhavi H, Hu J, Hamid SS, Butt AS, Jafri SMW, Ghazinian H, Chawla YK, Dhiman RK, Duan Z, Chen Y, Tan SS, Lee GH, Lim SG, Kim DJ, Sahu M, Sollano JD, Carpio G, Prasad VGM, Abbas Z, Lesmana LA, Lesmana CR, Eapen CE, Goel A, Sood A, Midha V, Goyal O, Dokmeci AK, Ning Q, Chen T, Ma K, Payawal DA, Lau GKK, Mahtab MA, Rahman S, Alam MS, Shukla A, Shrestha A, Shah S, Kalal CR, Kumar G, Jain P, Paulson I, Sarin SK; APASL ACLF working Party, APASL ACLF Research Consortium (AARC). Impact of Metabolic Risk Factors on the Severity and Outcome of Patients with Alcohol Associated Acute-on-Chronic Liver FailureLiver Int. 2020 Sep 24
- Charlton MR, Alam A, Shukla A, Dashtseren B, Lesmana CRA, Duger D, Payawal DA, Duy Cuong D, Jargalsaikhan G, Cua IHY, Sollano JD, Singh KR, Madan K, Win KM, Kyi KP, Tun KS, Salih M, Rastogi M, Saraf N, Thuy PTT, Hien PTD, Gani RA, Mohamed R, Tanwandee T, Piratvisuth T, Sukeepaisarnjaroen W, Naing W, Hashmi ZY.
An expert review on the use of tenofovir alafenamide for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B virus infection in Asia. J Gastroenterol. 2020 Sep;55(9):811-823.
- Sarin SK, Choudhury A, Lau GK, Zheng MH, Ji D, Abd-Elsalam S, Hwang J, Qi X, Cua IH, Suh JI, Park JG, Putcharoen O, Kaewdech A, Piratvisuth T, Treeprasertsuk S, Park S, Wejnaruemarn S, Payawal DA, Baatarkhuu O, Ahn SH, Yeo CD, Alonzo UR, Chinbayar T, Loho IM, Yokosuka O, Jafri W, Tan S, Soo LI, Tanwandee T, Gani R, Anand L, Esmail ES, Khalaf M, Alam S, Lin CY, Chuang WL, Soin AS, Garg HK, Kalista K, Batsukh B, Purnomo HD, Dara VP, Rathi P, Al Mahtab M, Shukla A, Sharma MK, Omata M; APASL COVID Task Force, APASL COVID Liver Injury Spectrum Study (APCOLIS Study-NCT 04345640). Pre-existing liver disease is associated with poor outcome in patients with SARS CoV2 infection; The APCOLIS Study (APASL COVID-19 Liver Injury Spectrum Study). Hepatol Int. 2020 Jul 4:1-11. doi: 10.1007/s12072-020-10072-8
- Wu Y, Li H, Guo X, Yoshida EM, Mendez-Sanchez N, Levi Sandri GB, Teschke R, Romeiro FG, Shukla A, Qi X.
Incidence, risk factors, and prognosis of abnormal liver biochemical tests in COVID-19 patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis.. Hepatol Int. 2020 Jul 24:1-17.
- Anand AC, Nandi B, Acharya SK, Arora A, Babu S, Batra Y, Chawla YK, Chowdhury A, Chaoudhuri A, Eapen EC, Devarbhavi H, Dhiman R, Datta Gupta S, Duseja A, Jothimani D, Kapoor D, Kar P, Khuroo MS, Kumar A, Madan K, Mallick B, Maiwall R, Mohan N, Nagral A, Nath P, Panigrahi SC, Pawar A, Philips CA, Prahraj D, Puri P, Rastogi A, Saraswat VA, Saigal S, Shalimar, Shukla A, Singh SP, Verghese T, Wadhawan M; INASL Task-Force on Acute Liver Failure. Indian National Association for the Study of the Liver Consensus Statement on Acute Liver Failure (Part 1): Epidemiology, Pathogenesis, Presentation and Prognosis. J Clin Exp Hepatol. 2020 Jul-Aug;10(4):339-376.
- Shah S, Dhami-Shah H, Kamble S, Shukla A. FIB-4 cut-off of 1.3 may be inappropriate in a primary care referral pathway for patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.J Hepatol. 2020 Jul;73(1):216-217
- Gane EJ, Charlton MR, Mohamed R, Sollano JD, Tun KS, Pham TTT, Payawal DA, Gani RA, Muljono DH, Acharya SK, Zhuang H, Shukla A, Madan K, Saraf N, Tyagi S, Singh KR, Cua IHY, Jargalsaikhan G, Duger D, Sukeepaisarnjaroen W, Purnomo HD, Hasan I, Lesmana LA, Lesmana CRA, Kyi KP, Naing W, Ravishankar AC, Hadigal S. Asian consensus recommendations on optimizing the diagnosis and initiation of treatment of hepatitis B virus infection in resource-limited settings. J Viral Hepat. 2020 May;27(5):466-475
- Chauhan SG, Chaubal A, Kolhe K, Khairnar H, Lotlikar M, Walke S, Chaudhari V, Ingle M, Pandey V, Shukla A. Lactate-free AARC ACLF Score (LaFAS) – A Simple Userfriendly Score is the Best Prognostic Marker for Patients with Alcohol Induced ACLF in Western Indian Population in a Nontransplant Resource-limited Setting. J Assoc Physicians India. 2020 May;68(5):34-38
- Choksi D, Kolhe KM, Ingle M, Rathi C, Khairnar H, Chauhan SG, Chaudhary V, Shukla A, Pandey V. Esophageal carcinoma: An epidemiological analysis and study of the time trends over the last 20 years from a single center in India.J Family Med Prim Care. 2020 Mar 26;9(3):1695-1699
- Sarin SK, Choudhury A, Sharma MK, Maiwall R, Al Mahtab M, Rahman S, Saigal S, Saraf N, Soin AS, Devarbhavi H, Kim DJ, Dhiman RK, Duseja A, Taneja S, Eapen CE, Goel A, Ning Q, Chen T, Ma K, Duan Z, Yu C, Treeprasertsuk S, Hamid SS, Butt AS, Jafri W, Shukla A, Saraswat V, Tan SS, Sood A, Midha V, Goyal O, Ghazinyan H, Arora A, Hu J, Sahu M, Rao PN, Lee GH, Lim SG, Lesmana LA, Lesmana CR, Shah S, Prasad VGM, Payawal DA, Abbas Z, Dokmeci AK, Sollano JD, Carpio G, Shresta A, Lau GK, Fazal Karim M, Shiha G, Gani R, Kalista KF, Yuen MF, Alam S, Khanna R, Sood V, Lal BB, Pamecha V, Jindal A, Rajan V, Arora V, Yokosuka O, Niriella MA, Li H, Qi X, Tanaka A, Mochida S, Chaudhuri DR, Gane E, Win KM, Chen WT, Rela M, Kapoor D, Rastogi A, Kale P, Rastogi A, Sharma CB, Bajpai M, Singh V, Premkumar M, Maharashi S, Olithselvan A, Philips CA, Srivastava A, Yachha SK, Wani ZA, Thapa BR, Saraya A, Shalimar, Kumar A, Wadhawan M, Gupta S, Madan K, Sakhuja P, Vij V, Sharma BC, Garg H, Garg V, Kalal C, Anand L, Vyas T, Mathur RP, Kumar G, Jain P, Pasupuleti SSR, Chawla YK, Chowdhury A, Alam S, Song DS, Yang JM, Yoon EL; APASL ACLF Research Consortium (AARC) for APASL ACLF working Party. Acute-on-chronic liver failure: consensus recommendations of the Asian Pacific association for the study of the liver (APASL): an update..Hepatol Int. 2019 Jul;13(4):353-390. doi: 10.1007/s12072-019-09946-3. Epub 2019 Jun 6.
- Baiges A, Turon F, Simón-Talero M, Tasayco S, Bueno J, Zekrini K, Plessier A, Franchi-Abella S, Guerin F, Mukund A, Eapen CE, Goel A, Shyamkumar NK, Coenen S, De Gottardi A, Majumdar A, Onali S, Shukla A, Carrilho FJ, Nacif L, Primignani M, Tosetti G, La Mura V, Nevens F, Witters P, Tripathi D, Tellez L, Martínez J, Álvarez-Navascués C, Fraile López ML, Procopet B, Piscaglia F, de Koning B, Llop E, Romero-Cristobal M, Tjwa E, Monescillo-Francia A, Senzolo M, Perez-LaFuente M, Segarra A, Sarin SK, Hernández-Gea V, Patch D, Laleman W, Hartog H, Valla D, Genescà J, García-Pagán JC; REHEVASC, VALDIG an EASL consortium, Abernethy group. Congenital Extrahepatic Portosystemic Shunts (Abernethy Malformation): An International Observational Study. Hepatology. 2020 Feb;71(2):658-669. doi: 10.1002/hep.30817. Epub 2019 Aug 19.
- Chaudhari V, Ingle M, Pandey V, Chauhan S, Shukla A. The fog is still not clearing! Endoscopy. 2020 Jan;52(1):80.
- Kolhe KM, Amarapurkar A, Ingle M, Pandey V, Amonkar M, Khairnar H, Chauhan SG, Walke S, Shukla A. Jack in the Duct: A Case of Common Biliary Duct Schwannoma. ACG Case Rep J. 2019 Oct 17;6(10):e00223
- Gane EJ, Charlton MR, Mohamed R, Sollano JD, Tun KS, Pham TTT, Payawal DA, Gani RA, Muljono DH, Acharya SK, Zhuang H, Shukla A, Madan K, Saraf N, Tyagi S, Singh KR, Cua IHY, Jargalsaikhan G, Duger D, Sukeepaisarnjaroen W, Purnomo HD, Hasan I, Lesmana LA, Lesmana CRA, Kyi KP, Naing W, Ravishankar AC, Hadigal S. Asian consensus recommendations on optimizing the diagnosis and initiation of treatment of hepatitis B virus infection in resource-limited settings. J Viral Hepat. 2019 Nov 30. doi: 10.1111/jvh.13244.
Chapters in Textbooks :
“Autoimmune Hepatitis” in 100 questions in Gastroenterology 2008
“Alcoholic liver disease” in API textbook of Medicine 2007 (Acknowledgement)
“Management of Jaundice” in Jaundice – Current Perspective.2011