Dr Shruti Tapiawala
Department: Nephrology and Renal Transplant
Qualification: MBBS, MD (Internal Med), DNB (Nephrology)Book an appointment
Dr. Shruti Tapiawala is a consultant at Global Hospitals, Mumbai. She has completed MD internal medicine from B.Y.L Nair Hospital and T.N. Medical College. She trained for nephrology and renal transplantation under the able guidance of Dr Vidya Acharya and Dr Bharat Shah at the P D Hinduja National Hospital Mumbai. After achieving Diplomate of National Board (DNB) in Nephrology, she proceeded for a 2-year fellowship program in adult nephrology at the University Health Network, Toronto. The experience was directed towards working in special areas like home hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis, and Lupus nephritis.
After the Multi-organ transplant fellowship, she chose to work in the HLA laboratory at Toronto Medical labs where the focus was on applying advanced diagnostics in HLA medicine to multiorgan transplantation. Dr Shruti Tapiawala gained experience in the management of solid organ (kidney, kidney-pancreas, heart, lung and liver) transplantation patients at the multi-organ transplant unit, University Health NetworkToronto, Canada, where in addition to clinical management she has experience in risk stratifying the patients for these transplants by the virtue of being a part of The HLA (tissue typing laboratory) which evaluates a transplant recipient immunologically. She could present research papers in HLA medicine at the annual AShi meetings.
Dr. Tapiawala had the opportunity to work with renowned doctors in the field of nephrology, dialysis and renal transplantation, namely, Dr. Joanne Bargman, Dr. D.G. Oreopoulos, Dr. Daniel Cattran, Dr. Edward Cole, Dr. Carl Cardella and Dr. Kathryn Tinckam.
She has been instrumental in initiating SORTER registry in the year 2018 (Sensitised organ recipient transplant exchange registry) which lists sensitized patients to receive an acceptable mismatch transplant thus being the first in India to follow the international protocols for assigning donors to appropriate recipients.
She has Professional Membership ofAmerican Society of Transplantation, Canadian Society of Transplantation, International Society of Peritoneal Dialysis, Indian Society of Nephrology, Indian Society of Nephrology- West Zone Chapter andIndian Society of Organ Transplantation.
22 Years of Experience
- June 2017 to Present
Consultant Nephrologist, Global Hospitals, Mumbai
- January 2010 to June 2017
Consultant Nephrologist and Renal Transplant Physician, Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital & Medical Research Institute, Mumbai
- Fellowship in Nephrology, University Health Network, North America Fellowship – American Society of Transplantation Fellowship – HLA Medicine & Advanced Transplant Diagnostics
- Secretary- Indian Society of Nephrology-West Zone Chapter
- Executive Committee and Treasurer- Indian Society of Nephrology- WZ Chapter
- Member Kidney Sub-Committee ZTCC
- President- Narmada Kidney Foundation
- Renal Transplantation – Blood group Compatible
- Paired Kidney Exchanges
- Deceased Donor Kidney Transplant
- High Immunologic risk transplants ( Crossmatch Positive, Sensitized status)
- Immune risk Stratification of a solid Organ transplant recipient ( Heart, Lungs, Liver, Pancreas, Kidneys, Small intestines)
- Transplant Immunology and HLA laboratory medicine for solid organ transplants
- Renal nutrition- Dietary care in Kidney diseases
- Peritoneal dialysis, Home dialysis
- Prevention of kidney diseases
- Secured the 1st place for Best Oral Paper Award at the Annual Conference Indian Society of Nephrology, 2011.
- Secured the 2nd place for Best oral paper presentation at the Annual Conference of West zone chapter Indian Society of Nephrology, September 2001.
- Secured the 1st place for Best Oral Presentation at the 32nd Annual Conference, Indian Society of Nephrology, December 2001.
- Secured the 2nd place for Best oral presentation at the Annual Conference of West Zone Chapter of Indian Society of Nephrology.
- ‘Systemic Sclerosis With Lung Involvement: A Great Mimicker’ Published in The Indian Practioner, by Tapiawala S, et al.
- ‘Electrocardiographic Diagnosis’ published in the Journal of Applied Medicine, by Tapiawala S, et al.
- ‘Ophthalmic Manifestations in HIV Infection’ published in The Indian Practioner, by Tapiawala S, et al.