Dr Zaheer Virani
Qualification: MBBS, MD, DNB (Nephrology)Book an appointment
Dr Zaheer Virani is a nephrologist with 11 years of professional experience. He is skilled in diagnosing and treating acute renal failure and chronic kidney diseases.
During his three years of training in Bombay Hospital, he worked in general medicine and various subspecialty departments like gastroenterology, cardiology, neurology, chest medicine, infectious diseases, hematology, nephrology, and intensive care medicine including, the management of critically ill patients and various life-saving procedures like intubations and mechanical ventilation, renal replacement therapy, central line insertions, arterial line insertions, and catheterizations. Also diagnostic procedures like lumbar puncture, pleural tapping, ascitic tapping and bone marrow aspiration and biopsy. He is also trained in all forms of renal replacement therapy.
Dr Virani has done more than 400 kidney transplants including ABO incompatible, HIV, Hepatitis B and C and pediatric patients.
11 Years of Experience
Consultant Nephrology at Global Hospitals, Mumbai
- Proficiency in diagnosis and treatment of acute renal failure and chronic kidney disease
- Dialysis (Hemodialysis and Peritoneal Dialysis)
- Kidney Transplantation
- Interventional Procedures (Central Venous Hemodialysis Access, Arterial Lines, Permcaths)
- Interventional nephrology and do our own
- Tunneled cuffed catheter insertion
- Kidney Transplant biopsies and Fistulograms.
- Indian Society of Nephrology – West Zone Chapter – Burjis Khurshedji 2nd Prize(12/10/2014)
- Indian Society of Nephrology -1st Best Poster Award. “ABO incompatible living donor kidney transplant in a hiv positive women” – ISNCON 2017 Delhi
- Indian Society of Nephrology – West Zone Chapter – Dr. Pravina Shah 1st prize best paper award – 29/9/2018 Lonavala
- Approach to AKI in a patient with liver dysfunction Indian Society of Nephrology – West Zone Chapter. Surat, September 2017
- Nutraceuticals retard the progression of chronic kidney disease – Debate – SRNMCON 2018 – 3rd Annual national conference – Society of Renal Nutrition & Metabolism of India
- Vascular Access Monitoring and Surveillance – Indian Society of Nephrology – West Zone Chapter. Ahmedabad September 2019
Dr Virani has published more than 25 article, some of them are –
- Jitendra Khandge, Sana Humdulay, Zaheer Virani, Prashant Rajput, and Bharat Shah. BIOELECTRICAL IMPEDANCE ANALYSIS FOR ASSESSING DRY WEIGHT OF DIALYSIS PATIENTS USING INBODY S10. Indian J Nephrol. 2017 Nov; 27(Suppl 1): S18–S117.
- Prashant Rajput, Rajeev Nikte, Zaheer Virani, Hepal Vora, Pavan Deore, Hitesh Gulhane, Ashwinee Hotkar, and Bharat Shah. DONOR BLOOD GROUP PLASMA SANS PLASMAPHARESIS IN ABO INCOMPATIBLE TRANSPLANT- AN IN VITRO AND IN VIVO STUDY. Indian J Nephrol. 2017 Nov; 27(Suppl 1): S18–S117.
- Zaheer Virani, Prashant Rajput, and Bharat Shah. ABO INCOMPATIBLE LIVING DONOR KIDNEY TRANSPLANT IN A HIV POSITIVE WOMAN. Indian J Nephrol. 2017 Nov; 27(Suppl 1): S18–S117.
- Deore P, Virani Z, Saldanha N, Gulhane H, Parekh I, Rajput P, Shah B. Weight gain and obesity after transplant.J Renal Nutr Metab 2018;4:111-111
- Hitesh Gulhane, Neil Saldanha, Ishan Parekh, Menal Wali, Zaheer Virani and Prashant Rajput. “Body mass index of stable maintenance hemodialysis patients.” Journal of Renal Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 4, no. 4, 2018, p. 116.
- Virani ZA, Rajput P, Nandu VP, Shah BV. ABO Incompatible living donor kidney transplant in a human immunodeficiency virus-positive woman. Indian J Transplant 2018;12:64-6.
- Virani ZA, Rajput PJ, Vora HM, Shah MB, Shah S, Shah BV. Successful outcome of transplanting a kidney from a HCV-positive deceased donor into a HCV-negative recipient. Indian J Transplant 2018;12:227-9.
- B. Patil, Niranjan, Shetye Sharma, Manjusha Aggarwal, Mihir Vora, Zaheer Virani, Parijat Gupte, and Bharat Shah. “Prevalence and Susceptibility Analysis of Gram Negative Pathogens in Tertiary Care Transplant Hospital, Mumbai”. Asian Journal of Research in Medical and Pharmaceutical Sciences 4, no. 2 (July 4, 2018): 1-8.
- Zaheer Amin Virani. (2019). Good Hypertension control will reduce the incidence of End Stage Kidney Disease. The Indian Practitioner, 70(1), 7-8.
- Zaheer Amin Virani, Kohli J, Rajput P, Shah B V, Murthy A. (2019). Chronic Kidney Disease-Pandora’s Infectious Box!!!. The Indian Practitioner, 68(4), 45-47.
- Virani Z A, Rajput P, Dholu R, Patil N B. (2019). Renal dysfunction secondary to tuberculosis: A case report. The Indian Practitioner, 68(5), 45-47.
- Zaheer Amin Virani, Dholu R, Kolhi J, Vora H, Shah B V. (2019). Emphysematous Cystitis associated with E. coli. The Indian Practitioner, 69(9), 30-31.
- Zaheer Amin Virani, Jain S, Badhe R, Udare A. (2019). Emphysematous pyelonephritis in Diabetes: A case report. The Indian Practitioner, 68(11), 46-49.
- Shah M, Virani Z, Rajput P, Shah B. Efficacy and safety of canagliflozin in kidney transplant patients. Indian J Nephrol 2019;29:278-281
- Rajput P, Virani ZA, Shah BV. Crystalline nephropathy due to APRT deficiency: A preventable cause of renal and renal allograft failure. Indian J Nephrol 2020;30:290-2