Dr Shirish Hastak
Designation: Regional Director - Neurology, Stroke and Neurocritical Care
Qualification: MBBS, MD, DM, E.C.F.M.G (FMGEMS)Book an appointment
Dr Shrish Hastak is Regional Director – Neurology, Stroke and Neurocritical Care at Global Hospital, Parel, Mumbai and comes with over 35 years of rich experience of treating Stroke patients. Dr. Hastak is nationally and internationally known for his contribution in the field of – Stroke. He was a member of Neuro-critical Care Society and trainer in Emergency Neurological Life Support, USA. His penchant for newer treatments and technology makes him the most eminent personality in the field of Stroke. He is the Chairman Stroke Prevention Rotary District 3140 (Mumbai Dist) -2003 – till date.
Dr Hastak, has received prestigious awards for his remarkable work across globe. He received Upjohn International Research fellowship during his tenure as Clinical Research Fellow at Cerebrovascular Disease and Dementia at University of Western Ontario, Canada. He was awarded the Economic Times Award 2018 for the Most Inspiring Neurologists of India. He has been the past President of Indian Stroke Association.
Dr Hastak’s contribution to the society is phenomenal. He was the first to set-up a stroke unit in western India in 2001, first to set up stroke support health group in India in 2003, the first stroke helpline in India in 2005, the first stroke website in 2005, and has been actively driving Walk with the doc since 2017.
- Regional Director – Neurology, Stroke and Neurocritical Care at Global Hospital, Parel, Mumbai
- Stroke Fellowship – Western University of Canada – London, Ontario, Canada.
- Consultant Neurologist – Lilavati Hospital, Mumbai.
- Director, Stroke Services and Consultant Neurologist – Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital.
- Hyperacute Stroke treatment with IV
- Thrombolysis and mechanic clot retrieval with Stroke system of care.
- Dalal PM, Dalal KP, Vyas AC, Hastak SM, Shah SV, Gupta SK: Strokes in young in West Central India: Some observations on changing trends in morbidity and mortality. Journal of Association of Physicians of India 36(6):367-370,1988
- Hastak SM, Hachinski VC Leuko-araiosis: Current concepts In: Proceedings of Fifth International Symposium of Cerebral Circulation Toulose September 14-15,1989.John Libbey Eurotext Ltd.,Montrouge, France
- Hastak SM, Hachinski VC Multi-infarct and micro-infarct dementia In.: Cerebral ischemia and dementia (eds) A. Hartmann, W. Kuchinsky, S. Hoyer, Springer Verlag International
- Hastak SM, Hachinski VC Multi-infarcts dementia : An expanding concept : stroke-Pathophysiology,Diagnosis and management,Churchill Livingstone 2nd edition.
- D.G. Munoz, SM Hastak, B. Harper, D. Lee, V.C. Hachinski Pathological Correlates of increased white matter signal on MRI Archives of Neurology Vol.50 May, 1993.
- Hastak SM Metabolic Encephalopathy – Critical Care Medicine 1999
- Hastak SM Applied Anatomy and physiology of Cerebral Circulation and Clinical Stroke syndromes – Current concept in Stroke – Indian College of Physicians (Association of Physicians of India) 1999
- Hastak SM
Doctors role in Carotid Endarterectomy – “TO DO OR NOT TO DO” Proceedings of Stroke symposium December 2002 – 51st Annual Conference of Neurological Society of India.
- Dr. S.M. Hastak & Dr. A. Jhaveri
Constaint Induced Physiotherapy in stroke-Poster presentation world stroke congress Vancouver, Canada, July 2004.
- Dr. N.J. Nairi and Dr. S.M. Hastak
Improving Brain efficiency using EMG-Initiated Muscle stimulation in chronic Stroke – A Pilot Study – Neurorehabilitation & Neural Repair – March 2006 (4th World Congress for Neurorehabilitation)
- Dr. S. Mehta , Dr. V. Chauhan, Dr. S.M. Hastak, Dr. P. Jiandani and Dr. P. Dalal
Choroidal Tubercles in Neurotuberculosis: Prevalence and Significance – Ocular Immunology and Inflammation, 14:1- 5,2006
- Dr. M. Bhattacharjee, Dr. S. M. Hastak
Thrombolysis: The Elusive El-dorado-JAPI, Vol.55:2-3 October 2007
- Dr. N. Mishra and Dr. S.M.Hastak
Poststroke Hallucination Delusion Syndrome – J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 20:1, Winter 2008
- Shrivastava M, Lahoti S, Sanghvi D, Aggarwal A, Hastak S.
Stand alone mechanical thrombectomy (with penumbra system) for acute ischemic stroke
imaging :Single centre experience. Neurol India.2012 Jul-Aug: 60(4):406-14. doi: 10.4103/0028- 3886.100704.
- Lahoti SA, Caplan LR, Saposnik G, Liebeskind DS, Gokhale S, Hastak SM
Thrombolysis in ischemic strokes with no arterial occlusion.
Int J Stroke. 2012 Aug 1. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-4949.2012.00826.x.[Epub ahead of print]
- Sweta A, Sejal S, Prakash S, Vinay C, Shirish H,
Acute myocardial infarction following intravenous tissue plasminogen activator for acute ischemic stroke: An
unknown danger. Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2010 Jan, 13(1):64-6 doi: 10.4103/0972-2327-61282.
- Adatia SP, Chauhan VS, Hastak SM
First do no harm – a case of limb shaking TIA.
Neurol India. 2009 Nov-Dec, 57(6):807-8
- Sweta S Adatia, B B Poladia, Dr SM Hastak
Hyperammonemic coma presenting as Hashimoto’s encephalopathy.
J Assoc Physicians India (2008), PMID 19322981
- Gait analysis in normal pressure hydrocephalus (NPH): Characteristics and which parameters respond to the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) tap test?
Abhishek Srivastava, Abhaya Kumar, Anandh Balasubramaniam, Malla Bhaskara Rao, Shirish Hastak
- Thrombolysis in ischemic stroke without arterial occlusion at presentation
Stroke-29th July 2014. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.114.005757
Sourabh Lahoti, Sankalp Gokhale…Nikita Dedhia, Shirish Hastak and David S. Liebeskind
- Poster presented at the World Stroke congress 2018-Enchanted but not convinced(Low dose alteplase use), Our experience in India. PhilipAP, HastakSM,ChakorR.
- Role of ultrasound in the diagnosis and follow-up of transient perivascular inflammation of the carotid artery (TIPIC) syndrome: a case report. 12th February 2019. Bhagyam R. Monga, Rahul J. Vakharia, Shirish M. Hastak and Gayatri M. Autkar.
- E paper presentation at WMR 2020- Translation from functional training to independent living: The importance of a real- Time feedforward-feedback approach