Department of Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery
Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy, Gastric bypass and other weight-loss surgeries — known collectively as bariatric surgery or more correctly Metabolic Surgeries, involve making changes to your digestive system to help you lose weight. Bariatric or metabolic surgery is done when diet and exercise haven’t worked or when you have serious health problems because of your weight. The metabolic problems of Diabetes, Hypertension, Dyslipidaemia (high cholesterol), Sleep apnoea (snoring reducing oxygen to the brain at night), Limb Oedema and Varicose Ulcers and many other problems of Obese individuals also get controlled along the way, hence the name Metabolic surgery. Some are purely restrictive procedures (Sleeve Gastrectomy) and limit how much you can eat. Other procedures work by reducing the body’s ability to absorb nutrients as well as reducing capacity (Gastric Bypass).
Why choose us for Obesity Related Services?
Once you decide to undergo bariatric or metabolic surgery, it is important to choose a program that offers the expertise, experience, and commitment necessary to support you throughout this journey. The team of healthcare professionals at Global Hospitals, Mumbai understands the unique problems and challenges of treatment for obesity. Here are some of the unique features of our practice:
- Vastly experienced surgeons
- State-of-the-art technology & infrastructure
- Team effort of Surgeon / Physician/ Diabetologist/ Dietician/ Cardiologist / Nephrologist / Hepatologist and Psychiatrist to cater to every need of Obese patients
- Dedicated staff
Diagnosis of Obesity Related Disorders
Bariatric surgery isn’t for everyone who is severely overweight. You may need to meet certain medical guidelines to qualify for weight-loss surgery. You likely will have an extensive screening process to see if you qualify. You must also be willing to make permanent changes to lead a healthier lifestyle. Guidelines dictate that patients aged between 18- 70 with a BMI of 32.5 with comorbidities or 37.5 without comorbidities qualify. Surgery may be considered outside these guidelines for individual cases.
Treatment for Obesity Related Disorders
The type of weight-loss surgery that is best for you depends on your specific situation. Your surgeon will take many factors into account, including body mass index, eating habits, other health issues, previous surgeries and the risks involved with each procedure depending on your comorbities.
Usually the patients are put on a liquid diet 2 weeks prior to surgery. After the surgery, you’ll follow a specific diet for a few weeks. The diet begins with liquids only, then progresses to pureed, very soft foods, and eventually to regular foods. You may have many restrictions or limits on how much and what you can eat and drink for the first few months.
You’ll also have frequent medical check-ups to monitor your health in the first several months after weight-loss surgery.
Types of Bariatric / Metabolic Surgeries
Global Hospitals, Mumbai undertakes various bariatric procedures, based on the needs of the patient concerned. Some of the commonly performed bariatric surgeries include:
- Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass is restrictive as well as malabsorptive procedure and reduces stomach capacity and reroutes the intestine as well.
- Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy: Reduces stomach capacity to 10%.
- Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding: Decreasing the food consumption by placing a small inflatable silicone material (gastric band), on the upper part of the stomach. Adjustable Gastric Banding is denoted by different names such as lap-band, LAGB. This converts the stomach into an hourglass configuration.
- Gastric Balloon: When patient is out of surgery range and still desires a weight loss procedure, an endoscopic balloon can be placed in the stomach as a temporary measure to kickstart the weight loss. Balloon requires a lot of patient effort to maintain weight loss after removal. It is also used as a quick weight loss measure in those obese patients needing transplantation. It can be kept in place for 6-12 months.
Bariatric procedures make the patients lose typically 50-60% of the excess body weight usually within the first 6 months itself post-surgery, other than improving metabolic parameters even independent of weight loss.
Our Doctors – Weight Loss Surgeons/Bariatric Surgeons
The department of Bariatric, weight loss and metabolic surgery of Global Hospitals Mumbai has some of the best weight loss surgeons in Mumbai who work in conjunction with other experienced specialists in endocrinology, medicine, cardiology, nephrology , psychology and nutrition / dieticians to provide the best treatment of obesity and its related problems, all under one roof in Mumbai. Here you are free to access multiple resources in our institute, take advantage of the newest technologies and get the best personal advice from the top doctors for bariatric surgery in the city. Experience World-class treatment for a fast and safe recovery at affordable rates from Global Hospitals.
Dr Prashanth P Rao
MBBS, MS, FRCS (Ed), DNB, MNAMS, Diploma in Laparoscopic Surgery(Fr.), FMAS, FIAGES, FALS (Hon),FICS (USA)
Director and Senior Consultant
Dr Sonali Bhagwat
MBBS, MS, FRCS (Edin), FICS, FMAS
Consultant - General, Laparoscopic and Breast Surgeon
Dr Jignesh Gandhi
MBBS, MS, DNB
Dr Abhay Dalvi
Dr Nimesh Shah
Dr Prajesh Bhuta
MBBS, MS, FRCS
We are with you in your journey to better health
A consultation with our panel of doctors, specialists and surgeons will help you determine what kind of services you may need to help diagnose and treat your condition. If you or someone in your family or friend’s circle are facing any health issues, please get in touch with us, we are here for you.