Department of Psychiatry
Just as there is physical wellbeing, the same holds true for mental wellbeing. Psychiatry and psychology services draws upon the strength of a multidisciplinary team to ensure that you get the best care available. Comprehensive mental health assessment and treatment is coordinated by psychiatrists and psychologists.
Why Choose us for outpatient psychiatric care?
Global Hospital, Mumbai provides a full range of outpatient psychiatric care tailored to each person’s needs. The Department of Psychiatry treats all types of disorders, such as depression, bipolar disorder, addiction, schizophrenia, anxiety disorder like Panic disorder, OCD, Phobias, Dementia, insomnia, sexual disorders and chronic pain, as well as some of the rarest and most challenging conditions.
The team of experts with several years of experience offer comprehensive evaluations to assess psychological and physical concerns. The medical team actively participates in education and research, which support patient care by contributing the latest knowledge and innovative treatments.
Diagnosis of psychiatric problems
Diagnosing psychiatric problems is challenging because sometimes it’s difficult to find out which mental illness may be causing your symptoms. However, taking the time and effort to get an accurate diagnosis will help determine the appropriate treatment. The more information you have, the more you will be prepared to work with your mental health professional in understanding what your symptoms may represent. Some of the tests carried out at our hospital are:
- Psychiatric evaluation: During the assessment, your doctor will gather in-depth history, both from you and your family/friend. Most of the mental illnesses are diagnosed clinically. Certain psychological evaluation may be needed, especially in complex cases. Your Psychiatrist may ask for certain physical health investigation to rule out an underlying treatable condition. You may take tests of basic tasks, like focusing your attention, remembering short lists, recognizing common shapes or objects, or solving simple math problems. You may answer questions about your ability to do daily responsibilities, like caring for yourself or going to work.
- Neurophysiological test: Neuropsychological tests are specifically designed tasks that are used to measure a psychological function known to be linked to a particular brain structure or pathway. Tests are used for the diagnosis of deficits, ACE-III, MoCA, MMSE, WAIS, etc.
Treatments for psychiatric problems
Global Hospitals, Mumbai offers extensive psychiatric treatment, and it depends on the type of mental illness you have, its severity and what works best for you. In many cases, a combination of psychological and pharmacological treatments works best.
The main classes of mental illness are:
- Neurodevelopmental disorders : This class covers a wide range of problems that usually begin in infancy or childhood, often before the child begins grade school. Examples include autism spectrum disorder, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and learning disorders.
- Schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorders: Psychotic disorders cause detachment from reality — such as delusions, hallucinations, and disorganized thinking and speech. The most notable example is schizophrenia, although other classes of disorders can be associated with detachment from reality at times.
- Bipolar and related disorders : This class includes disorders with alternating episodes of mania — periods of excessive activity, energy and excitement — and depression.
- Depressive disorders : These include disorders that affect how you feel emotionally, such as the level of sadness and happiness, and they can disrupt your ability to function. Examples include major depressive disorder and premenstrual dysphoric disorder.
- Anxiety disorders : Anxiety is an emotion characterized by the anticipation of future danger or misfortune, along with excessive worrying. It can include behaviour aimed at avoiding situations that cause anxiety. This class includes generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder and phobias.
- Obsessive-compulsive and related disorders : These disorders involve preoccupations or obsessions and repetitive thoughts and actions. Examples include obsessive-compulsive disorder, hoarding disorder and hair-pulling disorder (trichotillomania).
- Trauma- and stressor-related disorders: These are adjustment disorders in which a person has trouble coping during or after a stressful life event. Examples include post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and acute stress disorder.
- Dissociative disorders : These are disorders in which your sense of self is disrupted, such as with dissociative identity disorder and dissociative amnesia.
- Somatic symptom and related disorders : A person with one of these disorders may have physical symptoms that cause major emotional distress and problems functioning. There may or may not be another diagnosed medical condition associated with these symptoms, but the reaction to the symptoms is not normal. The disorders include somatic symptom disorder, illness anxiety disorder and factitious disorder.
- Feeding and eating disorders : These disorders include disturbances related to eating that impact nutrition and health, such as anorexia nervosa and binge-eating disorder.
- Sleep-wake disorders : These are disorders of sleep severe enough to require clinical attention, such as insomnia, sleep apnoea and restless legs syndrome.
- Sexual dysfunctions : These include disorders of sexual function, such as premature ejaculation and female orgasmic disorder.
- Disruptive, impulse-control and conduct disorders : These disorders include problems with emotional and behavioural self-control, such as kleptomania or intermittent explosive disorder.
- Substance-related and addictive disorders : These include problems associated with the excessive use of alcohol, caffeine, tobacco and drugs. This class also includes gambling disorder.
- Neurocognitive disorders : Neurocognitive disorders affect your ability to think and reason. These acquired (rather than developmental) cognitive problems include delirium, as well as neurocognitive disorders due to conditions or diseases such as traumatic brain injury or Alzheimer’s disease.
- Personality disorders : A personality disorder involves a lasting pattern of emotional instability and unhealthy behaviour that causes problems in your life and relationships. Examples include borderline, antisocial and narcissistic personality disorders.
- Paraphilic disorders : These disorders include sexual interest that causes personal distress or impairment or causes potential or actual harm to another person. Examples are sexual sadism disorder, voyeuristic disorder and paedophilic disorder.
Our Doctors – Psychiatrists/ Mental Health Specialists
The Psychiatrists at Global Hospital, Mumbai are trained from apex institutions in India and United Kingdom and have distinguished experience, knowledge, and skills that help them in providing the best psychological services to our patients.
Our team of the best psychiatrists in Mumbai is constantly engaged in creating psycho-educational content, providing mental health care strategies in the form of various articles that we publish on social media and in esteemed newspapers and magazines in order to reach out to the majority. We also conduct various workshops and hold talks to widen the reach of mental health to encourage a conversation in this direction.
Dr Santosh Bangar
MD (Psy), MRCPsych (UK), CCT (UK), DCP (UK), DCN (UK), DPM
Senior Consultant - Mental Health & Psychiatry
Dr Jalpa Bhuta
MBBS, DPM, MD, DNB, MRCPsych (UK)
We are with you in your journey to better health
A consultation with our panel of doctors, specialists and surgeons will help you determine what kind of services you may need to help diagnose and treat your condition. If you or someone in your family or friend’s circle are facing any health issues, please get in touch with us, we are here for you.