Department of Neurosurgery
Neurosurgery or Neurological Surgery is a highly specialized medical specialty that concerns with a comprehensive care of the patients with various brain and spinal-cord disorders. The Department of Neurosurgery at Global Hospital, Mumbai, presently has one of the finest, modern, and dedicated neurosurgery teams in Mumbai and Western India. The surgical team performs challenging and highly sophisticated surgical procedures using state-of-the-art equipment & technology and advanced surgical techniques. The department offers consultation, evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation services to the patients with neurological diseases. The team members work closely to ensure that the patients get personalized care they need right from the first consultation to follow-up.
Ably assisted by high-standard Neuroradiology, Neuro-intervention, Neuro anaesthesia, and Neuro-Intensive Care services, our Neurosurgeons achieve outcomes in many neurological diseases matching those of the leading institutions across the country. With a team led by some of the best expertise in India, the experts at our institute consider preservation of neurological functions, shorter hospital stays, and pain and discomfort control as important as saving patients’ life. At Global hospital, the integrated team of specialists including neurologists, neurosurgeons, neuro-anaesthetists, intensive-care physicians, and rehabilitation specialists are dedicated to this goal.
Our unique, fully integrated model strengthens our current standard of care, allows us to measure quality and outcomes on a continual basis, and enhances our ability to provide healthcare solution to our patients.
Why choose us for neuro care services?
We provide care across the spectrum of neurological disorders, including primary and metastatic brain and spinal tumors, traumatic brain injury and haemorrhages, cerebral aneurysms and vascular malformations, degenerative and traumatic spinal conditions, stroke and vascular stenosis, hydrocephalus, congenital and developmental neurological disorders in children, movement disorders such as Parkinson’s disease, essential tremor and dystonia, paediatric and adult epilepsy; headaches and facial pain syndromes, craniofacial disorders, brachial plexus injuries, peripheral nerve diseases, and several other neurological conditions. The Neurosurgery facility at Global hospital also includes 24 X 7 Neuro Trauma Care.
Our neurosurgeons constantly seek new knowledge to improve diagnosis and therapies for people with brain and nervous system disorders. The surgical team at Global Hospital, Mumbai collaborates with researchers worldwide, contributing to advances in medicine that improve neurological care of the patients.
Diagnosis of Neurological diseases
Our neurosurgery team uses advanced state-of-the-art techniques and technologies to evaluate and treat neurological conditions, including many rare or complex disorders. They work with a team of doctors trained in many areas to determine the most appropriate treatment for your individual needs. Some of the tests carried out at our hospital are:
- Digital Subtraction Angiography (DSA): It is a fluoroscopic technique used extensively in interventional radiology for visualizing blood vessels. A fluid contrast substance is injected into the cerebral arteries to evaluate the intracranial blood circulation and examine if there is any abnormality such as an aneurysm, vascular malformation or blockage within the blood vessels. Radiopaque structures such as bones are eliminated (“subtracted”) digitally from the image, thus allowing for an accurate depiction of the blood vessels.
- Nerve Conduction Tests: A nerve conduction velocity (NCV) test measures how fast an electrical impulse moves through your nerve and can identify nerve damage.
- Electromyography Studies: Electromyography (EMG) measures muscle response. This test helps detect neurological abnormalities by inserting one or more small needles through the skin.
- Evoked Potential Studies: Sensory evoked potentials studies measure electrical activity in the brain in response to stimulation of sight, sound, or touch.
- Non- Invasive Video EEG Tests: Non-Invasive EEG uses a set of electrodes placed on the scalp in diagnosing the neurological condition of the patient.
- High-speed CT imaging: The CT scan can quickly provide a 3D view of all indications.
- High Definition MRI (3T): A non radiation high-resolution, multiplaner imaging modality used for brain and spinal diseases.
- EMG Testing: EMG measures electrical activity in response to a nerve’s stimulation of the muscle.
- Sleep Patterns Test: Polysomnography, also called a sleep study, is a test used to diagnose sleep disorders.
- Neuropsychological evaluations: These evaluations help determine the cause of memory loss in a patient.
The Neurosurgery department at Global Hospital, Mumbai offers many services and procedures, including but not limited to those listed below.
- Minimally invasive Neurosurgery
- Brain and spinal tumors
- Transnasal/transsphenoidal surgery
- Brain haemorrhage
- Brain cysts
- Neuralgia and pain syndromes
- Degenerative spinal disorders
- Spinal stabilization &instrumentation [MIS]
- Key-hole endoscopic surgery
- Primary & metastatic brain tumours
- Brain haematoma
- Hydrocephalus & brain cysts
- Slip-disc, canal stenosis, and other degenerative spinal disorders
- Neuroendovascular surgery
- Aneurysms/vascular malformations
- Stroke : vascular stenosis
- Open microsurgery
- Primary & metastatic brain and spinal tumours
- Cerebral aneurysms & vascular malformations
- Brain haemorrhage and haematoma
- Traumatic brain and spine injury
- Complex skull base surgery
- Craniofacial reconstructive surgery
- Pediatric Neurosurgery
- Congenital & developmental disorders in children. Spina bifida
- Brain tumors/malformations in children
- Craniofacial disorders
- Stereotaxic & functional surgery
- Deep brain stimulation[DBS] surgery for Parkinson’s disease and movement disorders
- Epilepsy surgery: paediatric and adult
- Headache & facial pain syndromes [Neuralgia]
- Peripheral nerve surgery
- Brachial plexus
- Nerve entrapment syndromes