Department of Pulmonology
Pulmonology is a field of medicine that focuses specifically on Diagnosing and treating disorders associated with the lungs and the respiratory system. Increasing air pollution, exposure to second-hand smoke and carcinogens and various other factors have brought about an exponential increase in the number of patients suffering from breathing and lung ailments. The inability to breath eventually affects the overall health & lifestyle of the patient. This requires expert attention and advanced Pulmonological care that we deliver at the department of Pulmonology at Global Hospital, Mumbai.
Why choose us for lungs care & services?
The Department of Pulmonology at Global Hospital, Mumbai provides comprehensive diagnostics, treatment and advanced care for lung diseases. Advanced infrastructure, expert panel of doctors and a dedicated team of paramedics ensure comprehensive care for the patient that is delivered with compassion and empathy. We handle some of the most critical and life-threatening Pulmonological ailments and have pioneered treatment for such complex conditions.
Diagnosis of Lung and Respiratory Disorders
Diagnosis is the key to offering effective treatment for all Lung and Respiratory Disorders. Accurate diagnosis allows for effective treatment plans which aid faster and complete recovery. Diagnostic method employed at the Department of Pulmonology, Global Hospital Mumbai include :
- CT scan is done to get detailed images of the bones, muscles, fat, organs, and blood vessels in the chest.
- Chest fluoroscopy is an X-ray test which is done to see how well lungs are functioning as well as to detect effective movement of Diaphragm.
- Chest ultrasound is done to examine the organs and other chest structures.
- Pleural biopsy is done to remove a small tissue sample from the pleura, which is the membrane that surrounds your Lungs.
- Complete Lung Function test & Diffusion capacity is a breathing test which is done to see how well your lungs are working.
- Pulse Oximetry is a test which is done to determine the Oxygen Saturation Level in your blood.
- Six minute walk test to diagnose & monitor patients of Interstitial Lung Disease.
- Thoracentesis is done to remove and sample fluid from and around your lungs.
- A Chest tube is used to remove air or fluid from around your lungs.
- Bronchoscopy is done to examine your airway and determine if you have any issues in your trachea, lower airways, throat, or larynx.
- The Sleep Study is done to help diagnose sleep disorders, such as Obstructive Sleep Apnea Hypopnea Syndrome (OSAHS).
- We at Global Hospital have EBUS (Endobronchial ultrasound) to help diagnose difficult cases in Pulmonology including difficult Mediastenal Lymph node biopsies & Staging for cancer patients.
Treatment of Lung and Respiratory Disorders
The Department of Pulmonology at Global Hospital , Mumbai Diagnoses & treats all types of respiratory diseases, with treatment included for the following:
- Allergy and Immunology: This revolves around the management of all kinds of allergy which occurs in patients spanning all ages. The allergies can be of any type.
- Asthma: Asthma is a condition where the airways are inflamed and swollen and produces extra mucus, which makes it difficult for the person to breathe.
- Cystic Fibrosis: It is a Hereditary Disease that affects the lungs and digestive system. It produces sticky mucus that can clog the mucus and obstruct the Pancreas.
- Interstitial Lung Disease: This is an umbrella term for a set of diseases caused by scarring of the lungs. This scarring causes stiffness in the lungs which makes it difficult for breathing. Many end stage Lung disease patient needs Lung Transplantation.
- Lung Transplant: A Lung transplant is a procedure which is performed to replace a dysfunctional lung with a functional one.
- Interventional Pulmonology: Interventional Pulmonology uses Endoscopy and other tools to diagnose and treat diseases in the lungs and chest. The procedure includes Flexible Bronchoscopy, Balloon Brachioplasty, Biopsy of lungs or lymph node, Bronchoalveolar lavage, Airway stent, etc.
- Lung Volume Reduction Surgery: It is a Surgical procedure that helps in removing diseased, Emphysematous lung tissue. It helps in reducing the size of an over-inflated lung and allows the expansion of the functional lung.
- Pulmonary Hypertension: This is a type of high blood pressure that affects the arteries in the lungs and the right side of the heart.
- Thoracic surgery: It refers to the operations of organs in the chest, including the heart, lungs, and oesophagus. Examples of Thoracic surgery include Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery, Lung Transplant, Heart Transplant, and removal of parts of the lung affected by cancer.
- Tuberculosis: It is a serious bacterial infectious disease that affects the lungs as well as the other organs of the body.
- Occupational Lung Disease: These are occupational or work-related diseases. These are caused due to the materials a person is exposed to during their work.
- Sleep disorders: Disturbed sleep, Daytime Sleep, Decreased productivity of work.
- Due to increasing incidence of obesity & lifestyle related disease problem of Obstructive Sleep Apnea Hypopnea Syndrome is increasing. This(OSAHS) was found to be the leading cause which remains undiagnosed in patients with uncontrolled Diabetes Millitus /uncontrolled Hypertension (Blood Pressure) recurrent stroke. It is a repeated episode of complete or partial obstructions of the upper airway during sleep and is usually associated with a reduction in blood oxygen saturation. Due to this people have difficulty in breathing.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder: This is a term used for Lung disorders such as Emphysema, Chronic Bronchitis, and in some cases Asthma COPD overlap syndrome. They may also have difficulty in Fatigue, Chest Tightening, etc.
Our Doctors – Pulmonologists/Lung Specialists
The Department of Pulmonology at Global Hospital, Mumbai has some of the finest Respiratory Disease specialists offering Diagnosis & Treatment for all types of Respiratory Disorders. The team comprises of an expert panel of pulmonologists, surgeons, and a dedicated team of nurses, technicians, chest physiotherapist who bring comprehensive expertise for the treatment of all respiratory ailments, while performing the advanced procedures for Lung disorders.
Dr Harish Chafle
MBBS, DTCD, DNB, IDCCM
Dr Samir Dilip Garde
MBBS, MD, TDD, FCCP
Dr Vikas Punamiya
MBBS, MD, TDD, MRCP (UK), FCCP (USA)
We are with you in your journey to better health
A consultation with our panel of doctors, specialists and surgeons will help you determine what kind of services you may need to help diagnose and treat your condition. If you or someone in your family or friend’s circle are facing any health issues, please get in touch with us, we are here for you.