Department of Gastroenterology, Global Hospitals Mumbai
Gastroenterology is a specialized area of medicine that primarily focuses on the overall health of the digestive system. The Department of Gastroenterology at Global Hospitals Mumbai, has a long and established pedigree as one of the best Gastroenterology hospitals in India, with our doctors routinely performing advanced endoscopic procedures for various gastrointestinal ailments. With the use of minimal access technology and advanced techniques, we deliver good patient care thereby helping them return to normalcy.
Why choose Global Hospitals for treating gastric problems?
The department of Gastroenterology has world class sophisticated Endoscopy Suites which are equipped with ultra-modern video endoscopes with facility for capsule video endoscopy system, with Narrow Band Imaging (NBI) for single/ double balloon enteroscope, and optical enhancement. Highest standard of disinfection conforming to international guidelines are followed. The use of advanced technology, world class treatment protocols, and an excellent team of doctors makes us the best Gastroenterology hospital in India. State-of-the-art operation theatres, world class infrastructure for post-procedure monitoring and excellent diagnostics facilities sets us apart from the rest. With the patient as the main focus of activity, we deliver endoscopic services on a daily basis, ranging from basic endoscopic procedures to the most complex interventions. We have extended working hours to accommodate patients with busy schedule.Wonderful congenial environment at hospital helps us gain insight into patients’ health. We recognize the warning signs, improve health, and target efforts towards good health. Beyond patient care, we practice the highest levels of medical ethics. Patient confidentiality and safety are motto at our hospital. Our best earnings have been patients trust, gratitude, good will and sound health.
Diagonsis of Gastric dieases
The first step towards the treatment of a disease is an accurate diagnosis of the patient’s medical condition. At the Gastroenterology department of Global Hospitals, Mumbai we understand the importance of diagnosis and prioritize accurate tests. Some of the diagnostic tests that we, at Global Hospitals, offer is listed below:
- FOBT test – a faecal occult blood test is a type of stool test that is used to check the presence of blood in the stool sample.
- Stool culture test – The stool sample is cultured to check for the presence of pathogenic organisms that may be the causative agents of infections in the lower gastrointestinal tract. Sensitivity testing is done to find the right antibiotic for the organism
- Computed Tomography (CT scan) – An imaging test that uses X-rays and a computer to give images of various body parts – bone, muscles, fat, and various organs.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging – This imaging test uses large magnets, radiofrequency, and a computer to provide images of organs and body structures.
- Magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography (MRCP) – This is mainly used to obtain pictures of the bile duct using MRI.
- Barium enema – A test used to examine the large intestine and rectum, it checks for blockages and obstructions.
- Oropharyngeal motility study – The patient is given a liquid containing small amounts of barium to drink, and the barium is traced using X-rays to provide detailed images of the area of interest.
- Colonoscopy – This is used to detect colon cancer and investigate various spouts of uncontrolled diarrhoea, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Celiac disease and many more.
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy – This test is used to examine the ailments involving the esophagus, stomach, and the first part of duodenum using an endoscope.
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) –This is an advanced endoscopic procedure. This test is used to detect abnormalities in the gallbladder, liver, and pancreas wherein a dye is injected into the bile or pancreatic ducts and X-rays are obtained to outline the hepatobiliary system or pancreas.
- Anorectal manometry – This diagnostic procedure is used to examine anorectal malfunctions and determining the overall strength of muscles of rectum and anus.
- Esophageal pH monitoring study – This test is generally employed for people suffering from Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) who do not respond to conventional treatment.
- Capsule endoscopy – It is a minimally invasive technique employed to investigate diseases involving the small bowel.
Treatment of Gastric diseases
Our team of experienced gastroenterologists diagnose and treat diseases of the esophagus, stomach, gallbladder, pancreas, hepatobiliary system, including upper and lower gastrointestinal tract. A detailed clinical history will guide us to make informed clinical decisions. If need be, we perform an endoscopic evaluation of the gastrointestinal tract and identify the underlying cause of the disease and then personalize treatment for every patient. We provide world class comprehensive and technologically advanced healthcare facilities for all gastroenterology needs. Various ailments that are treated at our centre and the procedures are given below:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Cirrhosis of Liver
- Gastric/ Duodenal Ulcer
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Gastritis Bile duct stones
- Upper /Lower GI Bleed
- Celiac Disease
- Lactose Intolerance
- Chronic diarrheas
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Achalasia Cardia and many more
Procedures that we offer
- Diagnostic Endoscopy
- Gastroscopy & Colonoscopy
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS)
- Balloon enteroscopy
- Capsule endoscopy
Third Space Endoscopy
- Endoscopic Mucosal Resection (EMR)
- Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection (ESD)
- Anti-reflux mucosectomy (ARMS)
- Anti-reflux mucosal ablation (ARMA)
- Submucosal tunneling endoscopic resection (STER)
- Endoscopic Full-Thickness Plication (GERDX)
- Peroral Endoscopic Myotomy (POEM)
- D –POEM (Diverticular)
- G-POEM (Gastric POEM)
- POEM+F (Fundoplication)
- Variceal Banding
- Stricture dilatation
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)
- GI stent placement
- Endoscopic biliary stone removal
- Endoscopic biliary stenting
- Endoscopic treatment of pancreatic diseases
- Esophageal manometry
- 24 hr pH metry
- Intragastric balloon placement
- Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG) / Bariatric Endoscopy
- Foreign Body Removal
Best Gastroentrologists in Mumbai
Our department at Global Hospitals, Mumbai has Gastroenterologists who are board certified and are experts in advanced endoscopic procedures. Our doctors are pioneers in therapeutic and third space endoscopy. We have well trained and qualified Gastroenterologist’s and residents round the clock. Our outstanding team of nursing, technical and support staff strive to ensure the best possible treatment outcomes as well as providing an unparalleled experience for all the digestive ailments. We value time, quickly recognize problem and reconnect patients to good health. We treat patients with empathy, compassion and to your satisfaction. Our doctors look for safety in addition to cost effectiveness when prescribing any medications. We strive to be the best and holistic gastroenterology centre, thereby creating a benchmark of our own.
Dr Amit Maydeo
MS (Master of Surgery), FASGE (Fellow of American Society for GI Endoscopy)
Director And Chief of Gastroenterology & Therapeutic Endoscopy
Dr Ankit Dalal
MBBS, MD, DNB (Medical Gastroenterology)
Dr Gaurav Kumar Patil
MBBS, DNB (Internal Medicine), DNB (Gastroenterology & Hepatology)
From the Doctor's Desk
We bring to you exclusive articles and videopods from our panel of experienced team of doctors. The articles revolve around myriad topics covering different aspects of a disease or condition right from what its about to its causes, symptoms, risk factors, diagnosis, treatment, etc. They also cover latest trends, technological advancements and new treatment methods. Stay tuned to this page for latest updates.
What is endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty
Dr Amit Maydeo MS (Master of Surgery), FASGE (Fellow of American Society for GI Endoscopy)