Lungs Transplant Hospital In Mumbai
All About Lungs Transplant In Mumbai
A lung transplant (also known as a pulmonary transplant) is a procedure where either one or both lungs of the patient is defective and hence is replaced with a fresh set of lungs to help the patient survive a few more years. End-stage lung failure patients must undergo lung transplantation. A living donor can contribute to one lung lobe, whereas both the lungs can be retrieved from a dead donor. To get effective transplantation, it is necessary to choose the best hospital for a lung transplant in Mumbai as they offer safe transplantation carried out by the best lung transplant doctor in Mumbai.
A patient would require to-undergo heart transplantation when either one or both lungs are not functioning properly. A patient would find it difficult to carry out regular day-to-day activities. When all the procedures and medications have failed to provide a satisfactory cure, it is time to visit the best pulmonologist in Mumbai. A lung transplant surgeon will analyse the medical history and reports, and if there is absolutely no way out, he (or she) will suggest undergoing a lung transplant.
A lung transplant surgery team generally consists of the best lung transplant specialists in Mumbai, surgeons, and well-trained hospital staff. At Global hospital, we ensure that you have the best treatment carried out by the best lung transplant surgeon in Mumbai. Our effective treatment, affordability, infrastructure, and complete care (starting from diagnosis to treatment) makes us one of the best lung transplant hospitals in Mumbai for the treatment of lung failure.
Why choose Global Hospital Mumbai for treatment of Lung Failure
Lung transplant is a crucial surgery. The surgery must be carried out by the best lung transplant surgeons, and the diagnosis and after-care procedure must be monitored only by the best pulmonologists in order to have the best possible outcome.
- Infrastructure: Our hospital provides, hygienic rooms, well-equipped ICU rooms, and latest technologies for effective treatment.
- Doctors: We have the best lung transplant doctors in Mumbai who are qualified and have many years of experience, who take complete care and ensure successful lung transplantation.
- Proper treatment and care: We have amongst the best lung transplant specialists in Mumbai who devote their time and efforts to cure the patients completely.
- Advanced technology: We have combined the latest technology and medical advancements with experience to provide our patients with effective treatment.
Diagonsis of Lung Failure
Diagnosis is the process where numerous blood tests, medical tests, physical examination, is conducted on the patient, and the medical history is also analysed. Heart and lung transplantation are critical processes and must be undergone in a hospital equipped with latest technological advancements, infrastructure and expertise.
Some of the main causes of end-stage lung failure include severe cystic fibrosis, heart disease, COPD, pulmonary hypertension, and many more.
- What are the symptoms of end-stage lung failure?
Here is the list of major symptoms of end-stage lung failure:
- A problem in breathing: Low level of oxygen in the patient's blood causes breathlessness.
- Discolouration: Purple marks on skin and lips.
- Fatigue: lack of oxygen in the body causes fatigue and tiredness.
- Irregular breathing: Fast breathing is one of the symptoms of lung failure.
- How is end-stage lung failure diagnosed?
- Physical examination
- Chest X-ray
- CT scan
- Pulmonary function tests.
- Sweat test and genetic test
- Lung biopsy
- What is the treatment for end-stage lung failure?
Lung transplant is one of the effective ways to treat an end-stage lung failure patient. There are mainly two types of lung transplantation which include:
- Single lung transplantation: When anyone lung of the patient is not functioning properly or when a donor has offered only one healthy lung.
- Double lung transplantation: when both the lungs of a person are not functioning properly, then the person is advised to go for double lung transplantation.
Treatment for Lung Failure
- What is a Lung Transplant, and when do you need one?
Lung transplant is a process where the patient has to undergo medical surgery. In this surgery, the patient's defective lung (or lungs) is replaced with a healthy lung from the donor. When one or both lungs are not functioning properly, and all other treatments and medications have failed, then it is time for lung transplantation. End-stage lung failure patients are advised to go for this surgery.
- What are the Indications for Single-Lung Transplantation?
Some of the major indications of single-lung transplant include pulmonary fibrosis, primary pulmonary hypertension, and Eisenmenger's syndrome.
- What are the Indications for Double-Lung Transplantation?
Major indications for double-lung transplantation include chronic pulmonary obstructive disease, emphysema, and cystic fibrosis.
- What are the Indications for a Combined Heart-Lung Transplantation?
Indications for heart-lung transplantation are:
- Pulmonary hypertension
- How to prepare for Lung Transplant Surgery?
Eat healthily and stay hydrated. Take all the medications suggested by the doctor and follow all the pre-care tips.
- What investigations should the patient undergo?
Medical tests (CT scan, chest X-ray, heart scan, tissue tests, and blood test) and physical examination.
- What happens after the initial evaluation?
Various tests are conducted on the patient's lungs and heart. According to the severity, treatment and medications are prescribed by the doctors. If a patient is facing end-stage failure, then the patient has no option but to undergo lung transplantation
- What is the Lung Allocation Score System?
This system is used to allocate the healthy lung of the donor to the lung transplant patient. According to the number, the priority is given.
- What happens during the waiting period before the transplant?
The waiting time cannot be determined accurately. It usually lies in the range of three to six months. During the wait time, the patients are put under observation and regular medications.
- What can the patient do during the waiting period?
A patient must take complete care of his (or her) health by eating healthy, staying hydrated, and following proper regime and medications prescribed by the surgeon.
- Where do the lung donors come from?
Major lung donors are deceased people, having a healthy lung.
- What happens during Lung Transplant Surgery?
A healthy lobe (part of the lung) replaces the defective lung of the patient.
- What happens after Lung Transplant Surgery?
A patient is kept in the ICU for several days and under observation. An external ventilator is provided to help the patient breathe.
- Post-Transplant Care and Follow-ups
The recovery period for lung transplantation is usually between three to six months. Eat healthily and avoid lifting heavy objects. Avoid raw food (fruits, vegetables, and meat) for a few months. Follow a mild exercise routine advised by the doctor.
Lung Transplant Specialists, Doctors and Surgeons
The lung transplant team at Global Hospitals consists of an expert panel that is experienced and committed to bringing compassionate care for patients with end-stage lung failure. The team walks the journey with you from evaluation to transplant to post-transplant recovery. An initial evaluation assesses the patient’s need & qualification for a transplant; following with a transplant team helps the patient and caregivers understand the transplant procedure, the wait time and pre-transplant care.
As the patient moves through the transplant journey, from evaluation to actual transplant to post-surgery care and rehabilitation, our team of pulmonologists, intensivist & anaesthetist, lung transplant surgeons, lung transplant co-coordinators, nurses, care managers, physiotherapist, dietitians and other clinicians will work together to manage your care at every stage. The single-minded focus and goal of the lung transplant team is to help you return to a full and productive life post the lung transplantation.
Learn more about the team members who will support you during the transplant process and beyond.
We are with you in your journey to better health
A consultation with our panel of doctors, specialists and surgeons will help you determine what kind of services you may need to help diagnose and treat your condition. If you or someone in your family or friend’s circle are facing any health issues, please get in touch with us, we are here for you.